Save The Twisted Wheel
Unfortunately Manchester Council have approved the plans submitted by the Hotel Group and developers and as a result the venue where Northern Soul was born will be demolished. Many thanks for your support.
The importance of the Twisted Wheel from a musical and cultural perspective is undeniable. The birthplace of Northern Soul is under threat from a property group aiming to build a 300 room hotel on the site of the club.
As the birthplace of “Northern Soul” it was the heartbeat of a musical movement of the late 60s to late 70s. Thousands went to the Twisted Wheel, to spend the night dancing to rare imported soul records from the States. This scene soon spread to clubs such as the Golden Torch in Stoke, the Blackpool Mecca, and Wigan Casino.
The original scene lives on in the monthly club nights at the original venue. However, plans have been outlined to demolish the building to erect a 330 room hotel complex on the site.
The Council has put the planning application out for comment - now is the time to write in and let them know what a mistake they are making! A decision on the future of the Twisted Wheel and this redevelopment is expected on June 28th.
Together we can help save this historic venue from demolition.
December 2012 - Twisted Wheel farewell all-nighter.
June 2012 - Decision on planning application - Council sides with developers and plans for budget hotel to go ahead.
February 2012 - Interview with Andy Crane on BBC Radio Manchester's Drive Time.
What you need to do now!
1. Add a public comment on the Manchester City Council website
2. Compose a formal "letter of objection" to the case officer.
3. Send a letter of objection to the councillors who will make the final decision.
Get the low down...
See how the media have covered the campaign and discover more about the venue and its history.
More from Music Heritage UK on this:
- Manchester Council approves demolition of Twisted Wheel- Blog
- Planning application submitted to redevelop the Twisted Wheel Club- Blog
- Read the article we wrote for Chimp Magazine on the Twisted Wheel
- BBC Radio Manchester interview with Music Heritage UK
- Manchester's Twisted Wheel Club, the Birthplace of Northern Soul, must be saved - Press Release (8 February 2012)
- Interview with Pete Roberts of the Twisted Wheel - Blog
- Twisted Wheel Campaign gathers Momentum - Blog
- Legendary Twisted Wheel to be demolished - Blog
Other CampaignsEaling Club
Save the George
Ministry of Sound
Jimi Hendrix Plaque